Ardgillan Glasshouse read more
The MacKenzie and Moncur Vinery and Propagation House located within the walled garden at Ardgillan Demesne were originally erected (c.1870’s) at Seamount, Malahide, owned by the Jameson Family. As was typical for pre-WWI glasshouse structures, the Seamount Glasshouses fell into disrepair in the 20th Century, before they were donated to Fingal County Council in the 1990’s for re-instatement at Ardgillan. The Vinery was erected at Ardgillan but quickly fell into disrepair and was dismantled however the Propagation House was kept in storage since the 1990’s.
In 2020 de Blacam and Meagher were appointed by Fingal County Council to restore Vinery & Propagation house at Ardgillan Demesne. An in-depth study of the surviving elements of the glasshouses was undertaken to inform the conservation strategy and the sitting of the propagation house within the walled garden evaluated.
The restoration works were completed in 2023 and re-opened to the public.